Street & Sanitation Department
The Street Departmentís primary objectives are to keep the city looking its best at all times and to maintain safe city streets for all to travel.
Besides taking care of the Southside City Streets and keeping them clean, the department is responsible for maintaining the city's right-of-ways, keeping grass cut and clearing excess undergrowth. This helps for visibility and safety, but just as importantly, it helps to keep the city attractive. It also helps by reducing various pests and rodents that would exist in higher abundance if given the shelter of deep grass or weeds. The department is also responsible for trimming back any low hanging branches from trees along the right-of-way. In addition, ditches and drainage culverts must remain free and clear of debris.
The Street and Sanitation Department provides the following environmental services to the citizens who live within the city limits of Southside.
- Garbage Pick-up
- Large Item Pick-up
For Your Information
- Charges for Sanitation services will be included in your monthly water bill.
- Place all garbage in plastic garbage bags.
- For safety, do not put loose broken glass or any other sharp objects in the bags. Enclose these items in a box or other rigid container before placing them in a garbage bag.
- It is unlawful to throw, sweep, or otherwise deposit garbage or trash in any sewer, gutter or drainage way, or upon any curb, street, sidewalk or vacant lot. Violators are subject to arrest.
- It is unlawful to place garbage out for pickup earlier than twenty-four hours prior to the day of collection.
- City crews will not pick up stumps or tree trunks.
- Debris left by tree surgeons, pulpwood cutters, landscape companies, roofers, construction workers, etc. will not be picked up. These people must also have a current business license to operate their businesses.
- No liquid paint, batteries, oil, or hazardous materials will be picked up.
- No building materials, bricks, concrete, dirt, lumber, etc. will be picked up.
- Boxes must be broken down if possible, or smaller boxes placed within larger ones. All plastic or paper packing materials must be placed in a box and taped securely to prevent scattering.
- Curbside pickup of excessive amounts of trash or other items such as appliances and furniture require a fee, payable in advance, and scheduled by the Sanitation Department.
- Garbage cans need to be removed from street by the end of day after pick-up.